BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, November 10, 2008

Chores....


I was brought up in a Dutch home, which means that I had chores to do. My Mom had a day-by-day routine that rarely altered and us kids had the same from an early age. My parents were crop farmers and so, along with tending to a lot of kids, Mom had a household to run and from spring to late fall, she also worked outdoors in the fields, helping Dad and the helpers plant, weed and harvest the crops, as well as tend our family garden, harvest berries and various fruit trees, can, freeze....well, the work was mountainous, so a weekly chore routine was a must!! We often look at our Mother's era(or in some cases our Gramma's era, depending on our age)as one where Moms were stay-at-home, as if that meant all they had was the home affairs to look after, and that afforded them time to have an afternoon nap or watch Peyton Place (yikes, that really ages me doesn't it??....that was the Soap back then).I beg to differ. This is not me being for or against Mom's staying home or going out to work....it's about weekly household chores and how I learned daily routine from my Mom....that's it!! So, on that note, I'm off to start the laundry :)

1 comments:

hippo chick said...

Hi Faye,

My mom worked outside our home so we call had chores. Saturday was our big cleaning day and no one could plan anything until the chores were done. It wasn't just me though, all my girlfriends had the same rules. We would work like beavers in the morning so that we could be with our friends in the afternoon. And guess what? It didn't hurt us one bit.

~hippo hugs~
P.