BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, December 7, 2008

'Tis the Season


I don't usually read News clips online, but this article really struck a cord with me. Human nature, when demonstrated like this, is a blatant show of greed, selfishness and materialistic impulses, at the expense of those around us.

"With only minutes to spare before the discount store opened, the crazed crowd pushed through the doors, knocking Jdimytai Damour down and breaking the doors off their hinges. As the crowd surged, people stepped on Damour and knocked over other employees who struggled to help him. Two thousand ravenous shoppers, many of whom had no idea what was going on, shoved and pushed each other in a mad rush. The selfishness is clearly seen by one employee's experience: "When they were saying they had to leave, that an employee got killed, people were yelling 'I've been [in] line since yesterday morning'... They kept shopping."

We can sit in our homes, reading all about this incident and piously say that "I'd never act like that". I wonder how many of those shoppers would have dreamed that they would behave like that. If asked if they would be a part of a mob, trampling employees, a pregnant woman, the one standing in front or behind them, I highly doubt they would have thought that was a behavior they could be caught up in.

"Jesus warned us, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Matthew 6:19-21 NIV) Jesus' words were a repudiation of materialism and an exhortation to value those things that endure throughout eternity. In our consumer-driven age, we would do well to heed his words." (by Ken Connor)

I want to go into this Christmas season, with these thoughts foremost on my mind. I want to go through this special time of year "living my life on Purpose"



1 comments:

~gkw said...

This is so sad... I witnessed the other side of it this last "Black Friday". I was shopping trying to get some items for my wife and I and for our youngest daughter. It became evident that I couldn't stand in line and get the item for my daughter as well. A lady in front of me said she knew right where it was. Her husband held their place in line and she went and got the item for me. It may not sound like much but a small act of kindness goes a LONG way...