Do you know someone with Diabetes? Most of us do.Take some time to get to know more about the disease that affects more than 9 million Canadians today.
Sunday, November 14 is World Diabetes day. At 2 pm, local time (wherever you live), do the Big Blue Test:
1. Test your blood sugar.
2. Get active for 14 minutes.
3. Test again.
4. Enter your results at BigBlueTest.org.
The Harsh Reality
Today, more than 9 million Canadians live with diabetes or prediabetes - a condition that, if left unchecked, puts you at risk of developing type 2 diabetes. This means that nearly 1 in 4 Canadians either has diabetes or prediabetes. More than 20 people are diagnosed with the disease every hour of every day.
The serious complications
Diabetes can lead to serious complications and premature death:
* 80% of Canadians with diabetes die from a heart attack or a stroke;
* 42% of new kidney dialysis patients in 2004 had diabetes.
* Diabetes is the single leading cause of blindness in Canada;
* 7 of 10 non-traumatic limb amputations are the result of diabetes complications;
* 25% of people with diabetes suffer from depression;
* The life expectancy for people with type 1 diabetes may be shortened by as much as 15 years; and
* The life expectancy for people with type 2 diabetes may be shortened by 5 to 10 years.